Glenmore Reservoir

Swap ideas on ways to save and improve Calgary's heritage resources

Moderator: newsposter

Glenmore Reservoir

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:42 pm

We were asked about whether the flooding of the Glenmore Reservoir flooded buildings and roads. Here is a hastily thrown together collage of 1924 aerial photos, with a green overlay of where unflooded land is now. These photos are 8 years prior to the creation of the reservoir, however it looks like just woods, portions of some farmers fields, and maybe a dirt road/path in the North middle were flooded. High Res version here: http://www.calgaryheritage.org/images/G ... ds1924.jpg

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Glenmore Reservoir

Postby zakman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks for mapping this. One property that was partially flooded when the dam was built was the farm of Calgary pioneer Sam Livingstone. One of his houses, built in 1883, was relocated to Heritage Park, but an earlier residence of his, located on the same site apparently didn't survive. Glenbow photo NA-126-1 shows both houses.
zakman

Postby Admin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks for the info!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby zakman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Thought I'd better correct a few items contained in my previous post. First, "Livingstone" isn't spelled with an "e". Second, it would appear that the older Livingston cabin was in fact saved from Glenmore Dam floodwaters and was preserved for a time, at least. In going through the online Glenbow photos, a 1958 picture of the 1880 cabin is shown, and the text indicates that it was in use as a garage at that time. I suspect it has since been torn down, but I'm hoping that someone else out there can say for sure.
The portion of the Livingston spread containing these buildings was located where the Heritage Park parking lot now stands.
zakman

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:00 pm

I notice the caption for the photos on the Glenbow site say "Remarks: Taken from west side. Both the house and shack were moved from their original locations after the Glenmore dam was built. They are now owned by the City of Calgary and rented by Mr. and Mrs. Herb Switzer." There was no listing for 1952, the date of the photo, but for 1951 the Henderson's directory lists a "Switzer Herbt, ctkr City Waterworks r Glenmore Dam" So seems the waterworks caretaker at the Glenmore dam used the old Livingston house as an onsite residence.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby zakman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:10 pm

I don't know if this is THE definitive answer to the whereabouts of the original Livingston shack, but in reading Heritage Park's online "Attractions and Exhibits" section titled "Livingston House and Barn", it's mentioned that the "cabin itself later became a granary, bunkhouse, barn and garage. So perhaps the circa 1878 "barn" that's been saved is the original Livingstone cabin, which would make it one of the oldest homes in the area. Perhaps a visit to Heritage Park might clear all this up!
zakman

Return to General Heritage Talk