Sold Out - What's In A Name Calgary?

Swap ideas on ways to save and improve Calgary's heritage resources

Moderator: newsposter

Sold Out - What's In A Name Calgary?

Postby newsposter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Sold out!

"What's in a Name...Calgary? Volumes I and II" are available for a limited time at a substantial discount of $5. The books look at the origins of names in Calgary (street names, park names, facility names and so on) and are well-researched. Volume I was a City of Calgary 1994 Centennial project. Contact the author, Donna Mae Humber at (deleted) .

:) Good news - deadline extended. Keep those orders coming in!

Some information about the books from the publisher's website:

What's in a Name . . . Calgary? A Look at the People Behind Place Names in Calgary (Volume 1)

This first volume of What's in a Name . . . Calgary? will introduce you to the pioneer roots and western heritage through the people whose names appear throughout this city. Many Calgarians have been recognized by having something in the city named after them. but there are so many others whose names are unknown except to those who are history buffs. I think of Fred Kanouse, the first semi-permanent white resident of the Calgary area, and John Glenn, one of Calgary's earliest settlers; of Jean Drever Pinkham, one of Calgary's outstanding pioneer women, and John Ingram, our first chief constable. And there are Mary and Catherine Barclay, founders of the Canadian Youth Hostel association, O.H. Patrick, the driving force behind the creation of the dinosaur park at the Calgary Zoo, and John Kanerva, creator of the dinosaur models. The list goes on and on.

Year: 1995
Binding: paperback
Pages: 192

What's In a Name . . . Calgary? (Volume 2)

In this follow-up to the popular first volume, Donna Mae Humber documents the historical and geographical significance of street, building, park, bridge, school and community names. Investigating every place name in Calgary is an impossible task. The origins of many of the names have been lost to poor record keeping or indifference on the part of both The City and the developers involved. And every day something new is being built and named. Often, for one reason or another, names are changed. Many buildings in Calgary with interesting or historic names are small or insignificant structures, known primarily to the residents of the community where they stand. Tracking these down has been a challenge, and I am sure that some have been missed.

Year: 1997
Binding: paperback
Pages: 189
newsposter

Return to General Heritage Talk