Curtis Block gone but not forgotten

Status of new or continuing risks to heritage sites

Moderator: newsposter

Curtis Block gone but not forgotten

Postby newsposter » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:38 am

:arrow: Updated July 2010 - click link to go to bottom of next page
http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... =2193#2193
---------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: :cry: Updated July 2 2008 with some very bad news. See bottom post. More bad July 14/15 - see next page

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On April 5 2006 a land use amendment application was made for 1227 Macleod Trail SE and 234 - 13 Ave SE, to "accommodate mixed use projects up to 12 FAR (floor area ratio - a measure of building volume)." This is the site of the Eastern or Deutch-Canadier block and the house behind. See below. The city has not yet sought public input on this application.

:arrow: UPDATED JULY 5: On June 29 a land use application was made for the neighbouring property to the north at 1203 Macleod Trail SE (the Curtis block) "and additional addresses" by the Tarjan group "to accommodate mixed-use development." The city is presently seeking public input on this application.

1227 Macleod Trail is the 1912 Deutch-Canadier Block (or Eastern Block). The Deutch-Canadier Block is 'category C' on the city heritage inventory. 234 - 13th Avenue is a 1905 house behind the Deutch-Canadier Block, the Vicary Residence (summary history below), which is not on the inventory. 1203 Macleod Trail is the 1909 Curtis Block, 'category A' on the City's heritage inventory.

Together, the Curtis and Deutch-Canadier block constitute a well-preserved Edwardian commercial strip along the entire eastern face of the block. Information on these buildings can be found in the book "Historic Walks of Calgary" by Harry M. Sanders, pp. 310 and 311.

More information on the nature of the proposals will be added when it becomes available. Under the Beltline ARP, preservation of heritage buildings is one way to achieve the additional density being sought by the land owners.

Note on the Vicary residence:

From 1915-1942 the Vicary Residence was occupied by William Vicary, who worked for the CPR in senior positions including Depot Master and Yard Master and retired in 1931. After 1943 it was occupied by Steve and Elvera Sikora, who ran the Europe Cafe. The building exterior was extensively renovated sometime after 1999, and no longer has its original appearance. The Vicary Residence is not on the inventory. (source: Victoria Park Building Survey, Alberta Community Development, sponsored by the Alberta Historical Preservation and Rebuilding Society).
Last edited by newsposter on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 12 times in total.
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby Chris E » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:56 pm

Photos (click on small version to view high res photos)

South Side (west portion)
Image

South Side (centre and east portion)
Image
The building with the mural and the house adjacent to it are subject of the land use application.

East Side (Eastern Block)
Image
This building is the subject of a land use application.

East Side (Curtis Block)
Image

North East corner
Image

North Side (central and west portions, not so nicely spliced :( )
Image

West Side is just the Arby's and Morrow building in the top photo.

Remains of driveways south of the southside, used to be single family housing.
Image

Some more photos care of entheos_fog:

Deutsch-Canadier (Eastern) Block Mural

Deutsch-Canadier Store Fronts

Curtis Block Store Fronts

Historic photos from www.glenbow.org:

Curtis Block. Parade float of Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators and Paperhangers Union, Local Number 583, Calgary, Alberta, passes the Curtis Block during a parade for the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Connaught, September 1912
Image

Looking north along 2nd Street SE (Macleod Trail) from 13th Avenue, circa 1930. Eastern (Deutsche-Canadier) and Curtis Blocks on left. K.O. Brothers Confectionery at street level. Louise and Bell Blocks in the distance on the right. Note the streetcar line.
Image

Another view of the Eastern (Deutsche-Canadier) block - looking west along 13th Avenue circa 1930.
Image
Chris E
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:13 pm
Location: Calgary

Postby newsposter » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:12 am

UPDATE: On June 29 a land use application was made for the the 'category A' Curtis Block at 1203 Macleod Trail SE "and additional addresses"... "to accommodate mixed-use development." See above for information and photos, an information on a previous land use application for the next-door Deutch-Canadier Block.
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:57 pm

Below is our response to the land use application for the Curtis Block. More information and photos of the buildings, and the other application for the next door Deutch-Canadier (Eastern) block is posted above.


RE: File Number LOC2006-0068
Curtis Block and additional addresses

August 15, 2006
File Manager: Dwayne Drobot

The Calgary Heritage Initiative Society generally supports the land use
application and density increase provided that the historic Curtis Block
buildings are preserved and designated as a municipal historic resource as
a condition of the the new land use.

The Curtis Block, at the eastern edge of the property in question, and the
Deutch-Canadier/Eastern block directly south, are a very good and
well-preserved example of an Edwardian commercial strip along the entire
eastern face of the block. The exterior of the buildings appear to be in
fairly original condition and seem structurally sound, although the stone
lintels and sills as well as the windows appear to need repair. The
Curtis Block ranks category A on the municipal inventory of potential
historic sites and the Deutch-Canadier presently ranks category C.

(We understand that the Deutch-Canadier block is part of another land use
application by another owner, which has yet to be notice-posted and
circulated. As the integrity of this streetscape is very important, adding
to the value of the individual buildings, the heritage value of the
Deutch-Canadier block would not seem to be reflected in the category C
ranking and perhaps it should be re-evaluated and upgraded.)

This commercial strip was one of the first outside of downtown, developed
along Calgary’s first streetcar line, which went from 8th Avenue, down 2nd
Street SE (Macleod Trail) to the Victoria Park fairgrounds (now Stampede
Park). The integrity of this block, combined with that of other nearby
intact blocks, such as the Louise and Bell blocks to the north and the
other buildings of the warehouse district, constitute an important urban
landscape that is as representative of Calgary’s growth in the period
prior to WWl as Stephen Avenue is representative of retail buildings at
the turn of the century.

The Beltline ARP strongly supports heritage preservation through density
bonusing for preservation and municipal designation. Therefore, the
Calgary Heritage Initiative Society supports the application by the owner
to increase the density as recommended by the Beltline ARP with the
provision that the Curtis Block buildings be designated, and the
functionality of the buildings be preserved as part of the heritage
context of this area. The heritage value of the buildings and the
integrity of the streetscape must be maintained.

We encourage the owner to maintain this important historic site as part of
their development. More generally, we look forward to complimentary new
development that will help to knit together the vital heritage fabric of
this area.

Sincerely,

Jacky Durrie
Member
Calgary Heritage Initiative Society

Bob van Wegen
External Director
Calgary Heritage Initiative Society

cc. Ald. Madeleine King
Darryl Cariou, Heritage Planner
Beltline Planning Group
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:41 am

The change of land use applications for the Curtis Block and Deutsch-Canadier (Eastern) block go to Calgary Planning Commission on November 16. See above for more.

Curtis Block:
http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/BU/pla ... 6_0068.pdf

Deutsch-Canadier:
http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/BU/pla ... 6_0032.pdf
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:41 am

Going to Council January 8, 2007. See above.
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:53 pm

Updated with historic photos above.

Land Use change going to Council January 8.
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:37 am

The land use changes, for the Deutsche-Canadier (Eastern) and Curtis Blocks passed Council on January 8, 2007. There were comments from the area Alderman (Madeleine King) in support of the heritage on the site reported in the Herald. See below. The land use changes bring the land into conformity with the Beltline ARP, including strong density bonusing incentives for maintaining heritage buildings.

CHI president Janet Woolgar was present at Council and discussed heritage on these sites with Alds. King and Farrell. CHI had previously commented to City Planners (see above). She also spoke on the fate of the nearby Enoch Sales house - kitty corner from the Curtis Block. There is another thread on that subject here: http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... ?p=510#510

Excerpt below:

Major projects aimed at Beltline
Land use changes allow development

Kim Guttormson, Calgary Herald
Published: Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Beltline's reputation as the new place to build was enhanced Monday after council paved the way for major projects in the area, which could add a few thousand residents.

"It's very exciting," Ald. Madeleine King said. "We made a commitment to make it possible for more people to live close to the core."

With the involvement of developers, the city is "following through on that commitment," she said.

As an added bonus, three of the sites are home to historic buildings that should be saved as part of the new development, the alderman noted.

"We're building a sense of confidence in the new sophistication of urban Calgary," King said.

Full story (free as of posting) http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/new ... 44&k=79760
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:17 pm

The lands including the Curtis Block* are being marketed as a redevelopment site. It is noted that there is a '6 month demolition clause on all leases' in the Curtis Block, which is a category A heritage building.

http://www.victoriaparklands.ca/Victori ... ochure.pdf

*Site does not include the Deutche-Canadier / Western Block.
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Word on the street is that Torode has picked up the Curtis Block buildings (but not the Deutche-Canadier blocks) and plans to incorporate the historic facades. More as we hear it...

See above for more ^
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:47 pm

We hear that occupants of the Curtis Block are to leave by the end of 2007. The redevelopment plans must be in the works... See above ^
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:08 pm

Latest is that the facades of the Curtis Block will be preserved in this development. Three towers rumoured: 28 storeys, a 25/26 storeys, and a 10 storey office tower.
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Curtis block redevelopment included in the images below. Images from a presentation by Torode Residential to the Calgary Real Estate Forum, November 2007. Full presentation available here:
http://www.mmpiwest.com/realestateforumswest/calgary/

image posting thanks to "Atlas Inc" at Calgary Construction Forum on www.skyscraperpage.com

Image
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby newsposter » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:15 am

Today the City is releasing a demolition permit for the historic "category A" Curtis Block. The developer's (Torode) intention was to preserve the first metre of the facade and incorporate it in the new building (see above), but the City would not support a relaxation of the required setback from Macleod Trial. A 4 m setback was proposed by the developer vs. 5.182 m required by the City for for pedestrian improvements etc. And there were also issues with a bylaw requirement to raise the first level above the 1:100 year overland flow zone in this floodplain area.

Relaxations of such requirements are in the City's power and it is very unfortunate that the Development Authority was unable to see the value in relaxing the setback to preserve some of the last authentic commercial facades in Victoria Park. This is particularly unfortunate given the recent Calgary Heritage Strategy, which is supposed to guide the City in such matters. It is also ironic given that "historicist" facades are typically applied to the base of new buildings in this area.

If you have concerns contact your alderman.
newsposter
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:13 am

Postby Chris E » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:08 pm

bump above historic neighbourhoods
Chris E
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:13 pm
Location: Calgary

Next

Return to Heritage Watch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron