Edited Sept. 20 - bvw
Unofficial notes from the Research and Development Watch group of the Calgary Heritage Initiative Society, September 18, 2006.
Sherri Morrow Heather Saitz Janet Woolgar Kristi Johnson
Bob van Wegen Tony Smith Kerri Rubman
1. Current research projects include:
a) George Stanley House: (draft presentation and draft form complete) http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... .php?t=271
b) Grant Brother’s store on 17th Ave ( no report)
c) Tequila/Costigan house – built in 1893, Costigan lived in the house after it was moved across the street. Also Sam Steele and George Johnston (newspaper editor) lived there.
2. Kristi reported on first researcher ‘field trip’ to Glenbow. The possibility of a second trip was discussed.
3. Possible changes to evaluation criteria in the new Heritage Resource Management Plan was discussed. Referenced in these CHA minutes:
http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/bu/pla ... 6_june.pdf
4. Community research:
a. We would like to ask Community Associations the following AT the Sept 26 roundtable meeting:
i. What are the top 5 (or so) buildings in your community which aren’t on the inventory?
ii. What is your best streetscape or 3 or more buildings?
ACTION: (Chris Edwards). Draft note to community association asking the above.
Link to meeting info: http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... ?p=561#561
4. Cliff Bungalow/Mission CA is researching a number of buildings. ACTION: Rick and Tony to exchange building “research interest” lists – possibly on an ongoing basis. Contact made, no response. (Bob reports that Rick has verbally indicated he will follow up with Tony.) ACTION: Tony to contract Brenda Etherington at the City of Calgary about exchanging research lists as well. Contact made, no response.
5. Streetscapes: ACTION: Kerri to write up 11th St. Streetscape for the website. (left over from previous meeting, not discussed).
II. Development Watch
1. Aberdeen apartments demolition application removed, and the earlier design (previously unacceptable to the City) has been revived. http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... ?p=581#581
In some jurisdictions heritage buildings cannot be demolished until a new development or building permit is issued. Removes demolition threat as bargaining tool, allows more time for solution. Demolition is currently just under the Province’s Safety Act. We could consider lobbying for different requirements for Heritage buildings, or more latitude for municipalities to make rules. Maybe mention on Friday to Harvey Cenaiko.
2. Carl Safran / Central (land use) and Connaught (development permit) Schools: http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... .php?t=272
Meeting held with Madeleine King. Next meeting with Harvey Cenaiko (MLA) on Friday. The Connaught DP will go to Calgary Planning Commission so we can make more comments to them then. Apparently the Safran land use has been withdrawn for now. Also, restoration details on the schools are insufficient. City planners seeking clarification. Provincial or Municipal “Designation” would ameliorate this. The City’s Senior Heritage Planner, Darryl Cariou, is seeking designation. Ownership questions around the school properties not entirely resolved. The Province already has a report (done a few years ago…) from architect Lorne Simpson encouraging designation of Central High School. See also the upcoming open house for Centre City Open Space, which may be relevant: http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... ?p=583#583
3. Westbourne Church: June CHA minutes indicate more discussion is needed. Ask David Plouffe if there any changes. ACTION: Janet.
http://calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/viewto ... ?t=254#254
4. Enoch Sales and Rock Central: Rock Central has been demolished. Enoch sales may be moved to above to C-train tracks on city land next door. Objections from City transportation may be an obstacle.
http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... .php?t=259
5. Curtis Block and Deutch-Canadier: The principal issue facing these buildings is the condition of the façade on the Curtis Block. ACTION: Janet to talk to Darryl about Curtis Block. http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... .php?t=212
6. President: No change, although concerns were raised by some about the developer’s viability.
http://calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/viewto ... ?p=164#164
7. Penny Lane: The ‘Friends of Penny Lane’ reached an agreement with the developer: a) commitment to not knock down the building until construction starts, b) to allow laser scanning of the building*, and c) a more substantial interpretive feature commemorating Penny Lane (this previous vagueness was one of the grounds for appeal as the original plans included something, but did not define it). It was felt this is the best that could be accomplished at this late date. Redevelopment proposal originally approved in 2002. Some discussion of what could be done to prevent this in the future (e.g. groups like ours for early intervention, better communication from the city on development proposals, no sandblasting of brick buildings, etc.) * This connection made by CHI to Richard Levy at EVDS. He want more discussion with CHI on possible partnerships. Visit to U of C ‘holodeck’ possible. http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... ?p=576#576
8. EnCana – York Hotel may get “better than façade” retention. Certain conditions likely in the City sale to EnCana; good people on the job. Expect the Regis to stay as well. Situation hopeful. Expect plans later this fall. http://calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/viewtopic.php?t=264
9. 100 block 7th Ave SW, some buildings west of Palomino: For sale for $12,000,000. We passed the hat and came up $11,999,990 short. We could do some publicity for this block, and/or promote alternative designs, possibly in conjunction with EVDS. We would like to get Calgarians thinking of that stretch as streetscape, but would need an alternative to complete demolition. (eg. more artist-type places like Art Central). Buildings on the inventory include the Church, Bible Institute, and the original Calgary Stock Exchange. Others not inventoried. (link to be added)
10. New rumoured development project in Sunnyside affecting the Lido café and ‘landmark’ apartment on 9A @ 2nd St. Not on inventory. ACTION: Bob and Brandi Anaka to contact the Community Association. No report yet. http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... .php?t=301
11. Gerlitz Block: Last meeting: Halyna to research. http://calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/viewtopic.php?t=310
12. Crandell/Hart House – project in the hands of planner Mona Ha.
http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... .php?t=118
See here for some references: http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... ?p=583#583
1. A new land use by-law plan has been proposed. www.calgary.ca/landusebylaw
ACTION: Tony to collect comments. So far comments include, eg:
- better signage for DP, LU applications
- No demo permit without approved DP or (possibly) building permit
- how does CHI get involved in the process?
- level of information and timing of release on the city website (eg. Why isn’t DP stuff on the website? Eg. List of applications for DP/LU by community…)
- prevent sandblasting of historical buildings
- require Heritage Planner review of development permit to allow time for discussion of heritage options
2. Heritage Resource Management Plan being developed. There will be an interim report to Council before the end of the year. David Plouffe is managing this.
3. Meetings: Would like to set up general meeting with Druh Farrell. She is on Calgary Planning Commission and also has a lot of heritage buildings in her ward.
IV Upcoming Events (most listed in Events or recent News on website)
1. City Centre Open Space Plan: 3 pm and 7:00 pm, Sept 25 at Fort Calgary http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/ ... t+Plan.htm
2. Community Heritage Round Table: September 26th. http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... ?p=561#561
3. Heritage Property Tour – Tony/Kristi to sign up, September 29th. RSVP by Sept 22.
4. Historic Calgary Week (HCW) is looking more for volunteers to help them than for somebody to run Doors Open. Possibility of CHI running “Doors Ajar” was discussed. Meeting is October 5th.
5. Mike McMordie Symposium: Oct 6th and 7th. Kerri interested in attending: http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... .php?t=269
6. Possible Beltline-Calgary Urban Initiative Urban Symposium Oct 26. Topic: additions to heritage buildings.
7. Next CHI open meeting (for all public): November 7th
TBD: Pub Crawl: From last meeting: Heather Parsons asking the Bear and Kilt owner about how-to… No report yet. Also mention of a 'farewell to the St. Regis' night.
TBD: Possibility of running more tours in the West Vic area in support of efforts to improve the area. Maybe a library-sponsored program. Possibility of Arusha Centre in the Old Y providing some logistical support for CHI as well – e.g. mailbox, office space. Bob discussed this with the relevant parties at a recent workshop.