The Calgary Heritage Authority is appointed by City Council and is the key official body dealing with heritage in Calgary.
http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall ... hority.htm
- advising City Council on all matters relating to heritage resources in the city of Calgary;
- evaluating potential heritage sites and maintaining the "Inventory of Potential Heritage Sites" in Calgary;
- reviewing planning permit applications that may affect designated and potential heritage buildings;
- recommending buildings to City Council for designation under the Alberta Historical Resources Act;
- monitoring the effectiveness of legislation which affects heritage conservation objectives and proposing appropriate amendments;
- awarding citations to citizens for significant achievements undertaken on behalf of heritage conservation in Calgary; and
- presenting interpretive plaques annually, during a ceremony at City Council, in conjunction with Community Associations and the Chinook Country Historical Society in order to raise heritage awareness.