Bud's Office Furniture slated for demolition?

Status of new or continuing risks to heritage sites

Moderator: newsposter

Bud's Office Furniture slated for demolition?

Postby gerrystraathof » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:23 pm

I have heard rumors of the buidlings housing Bud's Office Furniture being demolished to create a merge lane from Edmonton Trail onto Memorial Drive.

Has anyone heard any news of this nature? The timeline I heard was for 2010...

The buildings are the Armor building and Reliance building.
gerrystraathof

Postby newsposter » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:05 pm

The City owns those buildings, and I think that was the original plan, but it was my impression that in the intervening years it was decided that such roadworks were impractical - no where for that extra traffic to go, really - but I really don't know. The Calgary Heritage Strategy, passed last year, calls on the City to preserve buildings it owns that are on the heritage inventory, such as these buildings.
newsposter

Re: Bud's Office Furniture slated for demolition?

Postby jannyron » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:04 pm

spam
jannyron

Postby Chris E » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:03 am

As was mentioned, there doesn't seem to be anywhere for another lane to take traffic. (building in question is the rectangle coloured red).
There's already a dedicated turn lane that takes traffic onto Memorial in a West direction. If a second turn lane was created, there's no lane on Memorial for it to merge into, and adding another lane to Memorial likely wouldn't ever fly as it would either take out several blocks of houses/apartment buildings in Sunnyside or take out the bike paths on the other side. Adding a new turn lane so that all 4 lanes can come south also wouldn't work as the Langevin bridge is only 2 lanes. In theory if a new 3-4 lane bridge was built then a new turning lane would be useful, but with the empty land south of the Bud's furniture store I don't see why adding that lane would require demolition. I suspect there does exist in some old study a future plan to demolish the building, but I believe way the situation is on the ground today that it would not happen.

Now if there was a plan to demolish for some other reason...

I'll ask the City about this.
Chris E

Postby Tiara79 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:25 pm

I've been searching for more info in the city, but no one ever heard such rumor. Maybe it's just a hoax? :?:
Tiara79

Return to Heritage Watch