[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Calgary Heritage Initiative forums • View topic - Calgary Furniture Building / Herald Building At Risk?

Calgary Furniture Building / Herald Building At Risk?

Status of new or continuing risks to heritage sites

Moderator: newsposter

Calgary Furniture Building / Herald Building At Risk?

Postby urbanbush » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:25 pm

I am new to this site, very interesting and I'm glad I found it.

How much is known about the Calgary Furniture building (later the Herald Building), located across 7th Ave from The Bay? I have recently learned that it was recovered/renovated from its original appearance to the present exterior. My question is...how badly was the original facade butchered in this renovation? Is this known by anyone here? Would removing the "new" facade allow for restoration?

I am concerned - as this building is part of a half-block redevelopment site owned by Brookfield properties. In its present state its historical value is invisible, and it would be tragic if it were simply demolished. If it can be saved...it should be incorporated into the podium of any new development that occurs at this site.

I searched the list of historic structures, and I was not able to find this building. Is this because it is known that the building was renovated beyond restoration so it was correctly left off?

Far less impressive structures have been saved because their value was obvious...it would be tragic if this building is razed because its value is thinly veiled.
urbanbush

Postby newsposter » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:29 am

Re. above, here's what the building looked like before it was covered over (middle building). Old photo from Calgary Public Library. Photo of what it looks like today from space4lease.com
ImageImage
newsposter

Postby urbanbush » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:59 pm

Thanks, newsposter. Here is another pic showing the original building from the same corner as the current one. Photo from the Glenbow Archives.[/img]
urbanbush

Postby Tiara79 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Wow, it's pretty different with the renovated one, eh? or maybe I saw the wrong building? :oops:
Tiara79

Postby newsposter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:14 pm

We have been discussing the Herald Building this more recently in another thread - with more updates. Here is the link:

http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... =1386#1386

I suggest people post on the other thread, which has the fresher information.
newsposter

Return to Heritage Watch