Donegal Mansions spared major damage from Ingonish fire

Moderator: newsposter

Donegal Mansions spared major damage from Ingonish fire

Postby Chris E » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:54 pm

Saturday July 18, 2009 the "Ingonish" boarding house, 828 Memorial Drive SW, built 1918, burned to the ground directly adjacent to the Category A Donegal Mansions (built 1930). Photos below:

Tenants mourn loss of character building to fire
Calgary Herald, July 29 2009
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Calga ... story.html

Ingonish Boarding house:

Fire scene & Donegal Mansions:

The building to the right of the Ingonish site are not on the inventory but would likely warrant inclusion, however dates of construction are unknown (later than 1924, however they seem to appear in 1949 aerials). Lot contains 2 buildings:

Chris E

Postby Red-dog » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Nice to see Donegal Mansion still standing. My wife and I lived there briefly when we first moved to Calgary many years ago.

Nice large, comfortable 1 BR rental apartments, I expect they are condos now. Rent was $135/mo in 1968, including utilities (if memory serves).

A well built building, very quiet, with hardwood floors (oak, I think) and a gas fireplace. I seem to recall leaded windows. In fact, your pictures show that there haven't been many changes since that era. I may have some colour slides around somewhere of the building and environs.

It was owned by an elderly gentleman at that time, sorry I have forgotten his name.

...Greg
Red-dog

Return to News