Bell Block part of arts plan

Moderator: newsposter

Bell Block part of arts plan

Postby newsposter » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:03 pm

The Calgary Arts Development Authority is proposing to City Council a 10-year $150 M. investment in arts-related facilities, including:

- The Media and Visual Arts Centre ($5 million), which would bring six artist-run centres for film, media arts and the visual arts under one roof in the historic Bell Block in the 1000 block of Macleod Trail S.E.;

Herald story Oct 17 2008:
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/new ... 5a57005911

www.calgaryartsdevelopment.com
newsposter

Postby bud Liversidge » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:11 am

[/url]
bud Liversidge

Postby bud Liversidge » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:31 am

Subject: Calgary Printers circa 1946 at 1006 - Macleod Tr.

This Calgary business was located in the Bell Block (that is currently being considered as an historic site in Calgary).

I hope you will find this of interest in your current heritage Roundtable being held today - Feb. 19, 2009.
If you have any questions about the location, please email me.

I painted the picture in 1987.
Bell Block with Calgary Printers

This is the Bell Block located on Macleod Trail in Calgary where Vic Liversidge had the Calgary Printers from 1942 – 1969. The early address was 1006 – 2nd Street East with phone number Main 2-7203. The printshop occupied the main floor with cabinets of moveable type in many fonts, glass display unit, and business desk and chesterfields and the basement floor with a “job-press” and newspaper press and paper-cutter. In this picture, the Calgary Printers had been located to the right of the hanging blue sign

up to the gray door. To the right (south), was the Bell Block Grocery. To the north of the blue sign was a

barbershop run by Bill McAdoo. His elderly mother resided in the back. Toledo Scales of Canada occupied the corner location with a retail outlet run by the Tuff family. There was a Calgary Transit bus-stop in front of Toledo Scales where the Belt-Line #5 trolley bus operated.

The Bell Block is presently being considered for an historical Calgary site. Bud has done an oil-painting of the Calgary Printers that is presently owned by the Taylor Family in the Medford, OR area.

This information is from a son, Bud Liversidge in Edmonton, budlives@shaw.ca or phone (780)466-2300

Bud Liversidge
Edmonton
Ph. (780)466-2300
FAX (780)490-1933

The pictures that pertain to this information are contained in an e-mail that I can forward if you tell me how to do it.

Thanks.

Bud.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bud Liversidge

Return to News