[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Calgary Heritage Initiative forums • View topic - Billy Cowsill home Lower Mount Royal - news

Billy Cowsill home Lower Mount Royal - news

Moderator: newsposter

Postby andoverctpatsy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:46 am

Hi any news on the Cowsill house yet?
A lot of Very old buildings torn down here and one trying to be save in Westport Mass, USA that is listed .
What a pity these can't be save because of an oversite.
People unite.
Thanks.
andoverctpatsy

Postby newsposter » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:48 am

The "Cowsill House" is up for sale again (early July 2008), so the owner's redevelopment plans must have fallen through. Let's hope the next owner sees the value in preserving the building. The condo market has turned here in Calgary, and it might make more sense to do an office conversion than tear it down for a new condo building.

See page 1 of this thread for more information....
newsposter

Postby newsposter » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:11 am

This is interesting... at one point in the last few years the Cowsill house was part of an attempt by a couple of individuals to raise money from investors that ran afoul of the Alberta Securities Commission. The AEC enforcement order is linked below. It is unclear from these document if those accused ever owned the house.

http://www.albertasecurities.com/Enforc ... 0%20v5.pdf
newsposter

Postby newsposter » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:19 am

Two pieces of excellent news:
:D We have learned that the house has been purchased by a buyer who intends to preserve the house as a live-work place. Let's hope this works out!

:) This spring the Jackson (Cowsill) house was added to the Calgary Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources as a Community Heritage Resource. This does not confer much protection, but it does put it on the City radar and would likely not have happened without the profile of the house being raised by CHI and Billy Cowsill fans...

Here is a brief summary from the heritage evaluation:

Evaluation of the Jackson (Cowsill) Residence
1723 9 Street SW (1911)
Evaluated as a Community Historic Resource (CHR)

The Jackson House, built in 1911, is one of the original residences in Calgary’s Lower Mount Royal district. It is a two and one-half storey, foursquare-plan house detailed in the American Colonial-revival style. The wood-frame, red-brick veneer house features a paneled front verandah, balconies, and Palladian dormer windows. The first resident, Frank Jackson, was a construction contractor and lived, with his family in this house until 1930. One of the more recent residents was internationally-renowned musician Billy Cowsill (Hair, 1969) who was a prominent figure in the local root-music scene until his death in the house February 2006.

Source: Calgary Heritage Authority, Evaluation & Review Committee Minutes, March 26, 2009

Attachment to the main CHA minutes, linked below:
http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/bu/pla ... es_apr.pdf
newsposter

Jackson Residence

Postby Lynk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:24 pm

To all those concerned about the fate of the Jackson Residence:

I represent the group who have recently acquired the property and rest assured it will NOT meet the fate of a wrecking ball. Restoration of the property commenced in early June and we hope to have it finished by early October.
If you should have any questions please direct to Lynk at dabear3@hotmail.com
Lynk

Postby bamachick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:41 pm

This is great news!! Thank you so much. It is a lovely home, too nice to be torn down and being Billy Cowsill's last residence just makes it all the more special. Could you explain to me what a *live - work* is? Do you know the plans?
bamachick

Jackson/Cowsill House

Postby andoverctpatsy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:01 pm

This is great news indeed. Thank you, Thank you ,Thank you !!!!

-----------------------------------

I want to SHOUT OUT A Big THANK YOU to all concerned about saving the Jackson/Cowsill house.
Maybe you should come down here and teach this Country about saving its Heritage.
I Hope the house will be put to good use. I know Bill wanted to help People with their lives. Maybe This can happen yet.
It is a lovely house and needs to be standing Proud and Beautiful in all it's Glory.
What a lovely end to a lovely house and a lovely Man and I feel Bill Cowsill would be so proud as he so loved your City and it's People. What a fitting end to a good thing.
Thank you for all you have done to save this building.
Some day I hope to visit your Lovely City.
Thank you again and best wishes to you.
Keep us updated please.
Patsy
Fall River, MA USA.
andoverctpatsy

Postby newsposter » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:16 am

The municipal heritage designtion for the Jackson (aka Jackson-Cowsill) residence in Lower Mount Royal is going to City Council's committee on Land Use, Planning and Transportation (LPT) on November 18 2009. I'll post a link to the item when it is available.
newsposter

Postby bamachick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:42 pm

bamachick

Postby newsposter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:39 am

Pop star's old home spun into showcase

Jason Markusoff
Calgary Herald, November 18 2009

This news story includes mention of the support of Cowsill fans on this web forum, and how Billy is being remembered in the project... Also a photo of how the house looks today.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainm ... story.html
newsposter

Postby bamachick » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:08 pm

Thank you so much for the note letting me know about this wonderful news!!!! The plans for the house sound extraordinary. Billy Cowsill lives on in the hearts of his family, friends and fans and it is wonderful that the house will live on as a showcase. Bill touched the hearts of many and it is wonderful to see that in death, he still does.

Ginny
bamachick

Postby andoverctpatsy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 am

Thanks all concerned on saving the Jackson/Cowsill House. What an honor for your great City and Bill Cowsill. To have a showcase for him and to save an old House is just wonderful.He would be so happy.I am over the moon and it just goes to show how People can get together and save things they care about. Thank you so much.
Patsy
andoverctpatsy

Postby newsposter » Wed May 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Jackson House reborn - Historic home up for Lion Award for restoration

JESSICA PICHE/for Metro Calgary
May 19, 2010 5:27 a.m.

It’s not haunted, but the Jackson House is said to be watched-over by its famous late owner. Billy Cowsill of the Partridge Family-inspiring group The Cowsills, was only one of the many who once lived in this turn-of-the-century home....

Full story: http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/local/a ... use-reborn
newsposter

Postby bamachick » Wed May 19, 2010 3:39 pm

This is such wonderful news!!! I was so pleased to have been one of the american fans to lend a hand in saving this wonderful house! I have been eagerly waiting to hear how things are going and I am thrilled to see it going so well. Wonderful old homes are a passion of mine and Billy Cowsill, well there is no need to even say anything other than he was a marvelous person and yeah, I can see him watching over *his* house with a smile on his lips. I look forward to coming by and seeing the house in August when I am in your marvelous city. Thanks so much for all the work and love put in this great house

Ginny
bamachick

Postby newsposter » Thu May 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Video: Jackson House Reborn at the link below.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/video ... YkTMFy8eZr
newsposter

Previous

Return to News