[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Calgary Heritage Initiative forums • View topic - Billy Cowsill home Lower Mount Royal - news

Billy Cowsill home Lower Mount Royal - news

Moderator: newsposter

Billy Cowsill home Lower Mount Royal - news

Postby Chris E » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:16 pm

About the Jackson-Cowsill house...
Latest news November 2009 - see posts on page 2...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Home of a Rock Legend: The Billy Cowsill House

1723 9th St SW is boarded up and in 2006 a permit was applied for to redevelop to 6 unit stacked townhousing. The present fate is unknown. The house formerly owned by Frank Jackson, possibly of Jackson Construction (in the 1920s), and later the residence of Billy Cowsill of the Cowsills which was the real life inspiration for the Partridge Family television series. Later in life in Billy was a member of "Billy Cowsill and the Co-Dependents".

Cowsill rented a suite in the house. Cowsill died in the house on February 18, 2006. Click the link for audio tributes to Billy from CKUA, including an interview with Billy in this house by Tom Coxworth from 2004: http://www.ckua.com/AudioArchives/BillyCowsill.html

More on the Cowsills:

http://www.cowsill.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cowsills
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cowsill

House while owned by Frank Jackson, 1920's

Present day:

Chris E

Postby newsposter » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:11 pm

October 13, 2006

To: Fosa Osazuwa File Manager
Re: DP2006-3127 1723 9th St SW

The Calgary Heritage Initiative Society does not support the development
permit application regarding 1723 9th Street SW...

This impressive brick house is an important landmark in Lower Mount Royal as it prominently marks the western terminus of 18th Avenue SW. It is our hope that it would remain a residence or be converted to a commercial use (such as offices), similar to other houses in the area.

The fact that this building is not presently on the heritage inventory
attests not to any lack of value but to the incompleteness of the inventory.
The Calgary Heritage Initiative Society is looking into the history of the
house. We hope that the owner will reconsider demolition of the property and that the City will negotiate for the retention of the house. Some
preliminary, though not yet validated research, suggests that this house may have been the residence of a prominent Calgarian in the music industry (Billy Cowsill). (note: later confirmed)
Sincerely,

Janet Woolgar
President of the Calgary Heritage Initiative Society
Last edited by newsposter on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
newsposter

Postby newsposter » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:20 pm

By D'Arcy McGee,
Board Member of the Calgary Heritage Initiative

Its windows and doors are now boarded up. Graffiti defaces its front
porch. The front yard fence has gone. Weeds are taking over in the
litter-infested front yard. It has been a year since its remaining occupants were forced to move out. And yet the house still reflects a certain elegance of early 20th century Calgary, one of a rapidly shrinking number of vintage homes in a city where developers' wrecking balls continue to wipe out much of the city's heritage.

But the house at 1723-9th Street SW is more than another old house.
"This house holds a lot of musical history within its walls," the young man moving out of the house told us in late 2006. "It was the home of Billy Cowsill, you know."

Billy Cowsill was the lead singer and guitarist for the family musical group, The Cowsills, from Rhode Island that achieved international fame in the late '60s with such hits as The Rain, The Park & Other Things, Indian Lake, and the title song from the rock musical, Hair.

The Cowsills appeared on the Ed Sullivan and Johnny Carson shows, and provided the inspiration for television's The Partridge Family. The group eventually broke leaving some members estranged from each other for several years.

Billy emigrated to Vancouver in the 1980s where he fronted The Blue Shadows, known for their Everly Brothers-like harmonies. But Billy also continued to indulge his vices in those years, going so far as to describe the Shadows as "three vegetarians and a junkie."

In the mid-90s, he was rescued by members of Calgary's music scene, including Neil McGonigill and Jann Arden. Newly sober, Billy formed The Co-Dependents in the late '90s, a country-rock quartet that was much-loved on Calgary's thriving roots-music scene.

Cowsill died on February 18, 2006 at his Calgary home, at the age of 58. The news of Billy Cowsill's death must have struck his family particularly hard, as they were gathered in Rhode Island holding a memorial service for his younger brother, also a member of The Cowsills who had been found face down in the mud under a New Orleans wharf four months after he had disappeared following hurricane Katrina.

When news of Billy's death filtered through the Calgary music scene, his rich legacy was fondly recalled. "My wife and I, some of our happiest times came listening to Billy," Gerry Garvey, former manager of the now King Eddy blues bar told Heath McCoy of The Calgary Herald.
"You'd see him and he looked like this grizzled old Keith Richards-guy. But he'd open his mouth and he sounded like an angel."

McCoy's interview with McGonigill, weeks before Billy's death, confirmed the forgotten legend's enduring popularity on the Calgary scene. "I started bringing him here in the mid-70s and people just loved him," McGonigill said. "College kids, punk rockers, grannies, they all loved him, even when he swore like a trooper."
Last edited by newsposter on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
newsposter

Postby entheos_fog » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:11 pm

It would be a real shame if this house was demolished.
Hopefully it can be saved...
entheos_fog

Postby andoverctpatsy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:40 am

That is a shame and this house must NOT be torn down for any reason.
This a beautiful part of History.
It also belonged to Bill Cowsill who love the area and called it home for many years.
I suggest People write to www.cowsill.com and ask for help.
There must be ways to save this lovely old elegent house that is beggging for love.
I am sure Bill would have loved it to be restored and donated to help others.
A big Boo on any person that wants to tear it down.
Write your Gov Officials.
:shock:
andoverctpatsy

Postby bamachick » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:46 am

I think it would be a shame to tear down this house. From what I have read, there is a lot of history in this lovely old home. Surely there is something that can been done with this house. Restoring it seems to me to be a much better solution. In my hometown, several old historical buildings have been razed only to have people regret it later. Hearing that Billy Cowsill also lived here adds to the charm.
bamachick

Postby newsposter » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:33 am

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/new ... 72d924fb37

American reader asks Calgary fans to rally around Cowsill home

Calgary Herald
Friday, January 18, 2008

Please save Bill Cowsill's house at 1723 9th Street S.W.

Cowsill made Calgary his home. I am sure if more people were aware of it like the fans of www.cowsill.com, and right there in Calgary, they would help to save it. I am sure Cowsill would have loved the house to be fixed up. It needs love and care -- not to be torn down.

Many lovely buildings here in the U.S. have been torn down due to greed, and monsters put up in their place. Do not let this happen to you.

Patsy Farghaly,

Fall River, Mass.
newsposter

Postby newsposter » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:01 am

Flickr group to save the Cowsill House:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/singlemoment/2202051039/

Thread about the house on a Cowsill forum:
http://cowsill.com/forums/index.php?topic=9033.0
newsposter

Postby newsposter » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:11 am

^updated information and new links above

The City's website lists the redevelopment proposal for this site as "under review" as of February 3, 2008.

DP2006-3127 | Stacked Townhouses (6 Units) | Under Review
newsposter

Postby bamachick » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:37 am

Is there anything new since this went under review?
bamachick

Postby newsposter » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:19 am

The CBC radio Eyeopener is interested in the story of the Cowsill house. If you are a fan of Billy or the house, and are willing to be interviewed, or if you know more about the house itself, please send a note with your contact information and a bit about yourself (e.g. are you Calgarian or from far away), to info@calgaryheritage.org ASAP and we will put you in touch with the CBC researcher. Thanks.

http://www.cbc.ca/eyeopener/
newsposter

Postby andoverctpatsy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:21 pm

I want to thank you for taking such an interest in The " Billy Cowsill House ".
Not only because Billy lived there but because it is part of Calgarys rich History.
I am sure that a lot of People agree with me that Calgary is very rich in History and could be restored as such.
Tearing down things will not help at all. Restoring and upgrading will.
Think of all the Tourists that would come. Jobs that would be there for People.
A Place for Teens or Children in Bills House would be Great.
A place to behold and to do some good in whilst being a great place to see.
Calgary in it's time must have been a wonder. I live in the States . I will tell you the wonder is leaving here and fast.
I know if Billy Cowsill chose to live in your fine City of Calgary that is worth saving for you the People of Calgary and for the memory of the very talented Billy Cowsill.
As you can see I have a Passion for Billy Cowsill and old houses and buildings.
Thank you very much for all you do to try and safe the old History.

So please save this house and others like it.
andoverctpatsy

Postby bamachick » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:34 am

I sent in a reply. Come on everybody, lets save Bill's house!!!!! :D
bamachick

Postby bamachick » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:21 pm

I was contacted yesterday. I was told I would be called again next week!
bamachick

Postby bamachick » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:10 pm

Hi!! What is the latest on the house!!! Don't mean to bug you but I want to save the house!!!
bamachick

Next

Return to News