[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Calgary Heritage Initiative forums • View topic - Tuxedo

Tuxedo

Moderator: newsposter

Tuxedo

Postby Chris E » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:48 pm

My Property says 1905, meaning this was almost alone on the bluff when built

8 small cottages all in a row, workers?

..but not completely alone because this house was around in 1905 as well.
Apparently in the ARP as a building of interest, but very modified appearance since the ARP was written.

Need to confirm age

Need to confirm age
Chris E

Postby Admin » Sat May 31, 2008 3:08 pm

Feel free to post photos or discuss heritage in Tuxedo in this thread
Admin
Site Admin

Interesting history exposed

Postby 00fxd » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Visiting a friend in my old neighbourhood this summer I noticed an interesting exposure next door to him. Corner of 32 Ave and 1st street N.E. Anyone know how old this building would be?
Image[/img]
00fxd

Postby Chris E » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:21 pm

That's really interesting, from the exposed surface it appears that it may have originally had a false front displaying the full "General Merchant", but was then cropped to form a more regular front and converted into a home. My Property lists it as being built in 1911, but what's interesting is in a 1924 aerial photo that entire section of the block is vacant. To me this can only mean that sometime after 1924 that house was moved from somewhere else, perhaps where it was being used as a store, to the current location.

Now what we need is an old phone listing showing an address for H 2158
Chris E

Postby 00fxd » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi Chris. I spent some time going through the Hendersons directory. Here is the email that I sent to my old neighbor....

Hi [old neighbor],
Doing a bit of research on the house next door to you I noticed something interesting...
The person [ a mr. Pinner] that owned your house [#137] from 1920 until 1925 or so bought the lot next door [#141] and built a general store around 1927 at which time he is no longer the owner of your house.
He operates #141 as a store until it is later sold to a " a mr. Jacques" who also operates it as a grocery store.
It operates as a grocery store until about 1954 when it becomes a house
Your house [#137] goes back to 1913.
My old house 134 31st ave goes back to about 1933 only.
http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibliog ... 9/222.html

I wonder why my year info would differ from yours, what is your source?
Frank
00fxd

Postby Chris E » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:14 pm

Chris E

Postby 00fxd » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Chris, as I mentioned, House #137 next door [my friends] has been there since 1913. I suppose someone may have moved the subject building there in the late 20's.
I guess this board isn't looked at too much or isn't real well known. It seems odd to me that there isn't more replies to such an interesting un-covery. Too bad....
Frank
00fxd

Return to Historic Neighbourhoods