Old St. Patrick's Church

Swap ideas on ways to save and improve Calgary's heritage resources

Moderator: newsposter

Old St. Patrick's Church

Postby abangle » Thu May 21, 2009 6:02 am

I'm curious if anyone can clear up details for me about this.

The church was owned by the Catholic Diocese but was then sold to "Arbor Memorial Services" child company "Memorial Gardens Canada" under the pretense that the Diocese would removed the building.

The building has now been declared a Provincial Historical Site and a non-profit group was founded specifically to handle the restorations of the church, but the owners (Arbor Memorial) said there is too much liability involved in getting it fixed.

So now the property is just sitting there with squatters and vandals having their run of the place, and the non-profit group has dropped off the map (their site is no longer up or running, nor can I located any contact information for them).

First off, would like to verify my information is correct, as its been compiled from multiple sources.

Secondly, I am wondering who I would contact in regards to this property.

Thanks all for any help you can offer.

(and sorry, just realized that I totally posted this in the wrong forum... :oops: )
abangle

Postby newsposter » Thu May 21, 2009 9:39 am

Welcome, abangle...

You may want to contact the City of Calgary heritage planners, who (along with Calgary Heritage Authority) keep an eye on this issue:

Phone: 403-268-5833 Brenda Etherington
E-mail: brenda.etherington@calgary.ca

Here is our St. Pat's thread, which has a fair bit of information, including one post that includes phone numbers of several members of the St. Pat's Preservation Society. These numbers are a couple of years old:

http://www.calgaryheritage.org/CHIForum/vi ... =midnapore

I am moving this thread over to General Heritage Talk.
newsposter

Any updates

Postby trailmix » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:12 am

Hi abangle,

Were you able to get any further information on this church?
trailmix

Return to General Heritage Talk