Historic Stampede buildings?

Swap ideas on ways to save and improve Calgary's heritage resources

Moderator: newsposter

Historic Stampede buildings?

Postby Chris E » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:54 pm

I was studying a 1924 aerial of the stampede grounds, and comparing to current aerials and came across two structures that seem like they may be the same:

Although it's more difficult to tell when side by side, the larger building lines up *exactly* on each photo when overlaid. The smaller building sites overlay exactly as well, although the buildings themselves seem slightly different sizes, however in this photo from the 1970s the building seems like it's could be a turn of the century from the design, although that may be pushing it due to the fuzziness:

Just need to take a look at the current building at the location to see.

Anyone know if this is indeed the case?
Chris E

Postby McMahon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:33 am

The larger building is the Victoria Pavilion, isn't it? Or it may be the administration building. At any rate, Harry Sander's Historic Walks book says that the Victoria Pavilion is the oldest remaining (functional) building in the grounds, dating from 1919. The administration building dates from 1928.

I actually have an aerial postcard here. No dates, but it looks to be either 50s or 60s and it shows the smaller building more clearly. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a scanner and taking a photo of the photo didn't work out.
McMahon

Postby Chris E » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:13 am

It should really be on the heritage inventory then. On an unrelated note I see the Rossmore apts on 2nd street are only Category C, even though they're probably the finest (and one of the few) brick rowhousing in the city.. :?
Chris E

Postby newsposter » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Part of the pavilion is very old. It was substantially renovated/added onto in the 50s I think. Not sure how much original fabric is left.
newsposter

Return to General Heritage Talk